Monday 24 November 2014

CE 3: DEVELOP AND MAINTAIN PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE


Introspectively I have come to the last unit of Develop Self - CE 3: Develop and maintain professional competence. During this short time the knowledge I gained has been tremendous. Starting my learning journey with CE 1: Communicate effectively which is apt as a starting point, in CE 2: Lead team decision making, the focus is in greater detail.


In reviewing my own performance as a leader both at home and work, I begin to see my strengths and limitations. This brings me back the memory lane.




My first real working experience was in the government sector. Being young and ambitious, I was overjoyed when I was offered the post of an Executive Officer. I had to supervise subordinates who were older and more experienced. While I had the drive and motivation (my strengths), one of my limitations was lacking in experience. I also sensed the lack of respect from some of the staffs. 


Due to my immaturity, my initial response was to assert authority (which I find ridiculous now). I then sought my manager for assistance in dealing with the situation. I began to notice how different his leadership style as compared to mine and I was determined to learn from him to become a better leader in future. Now being in LPM, I know the difference between a boss and a leader.


Realising it now, it would have been better if I had the right mindset at that time. Leadership is a process, not a position (Hughes et.al., 2012). 

I am interested in Pareto Principle (80/20 Rule). As a leader, how do you see a problem? Your mindset plays a crucial role. If you are proactive, you will see 20% as problems and 80% as solutions.


I learnt that leadership is "a complex form of social problem solving". An effective leader should have self-developmental plan, set good example and the skill to identify strengths and limitations. Besides participating in meetings, giving and receiving feedback, it is important to have an open and honest relationship.



"Good leadership is more than just making decisions on a calculated risks, proper planning and following checklists; it is about one's ability to touch the feelings of others". 

Lastly, this is the kind of leader I would like to be...







No comments:

Post a Comment